TUTOR IN RESIDENCE
Primary Job Function -To design, develop, implement, and coordinate a comprehensive tutoring program in
support of students attending Miles College. Coordinate and communicate with faculty and staff to enhance
the tutoring process and success of students.
Essential duties include:
• Prepare informational materials and promote the tutoring program to Miles College students, faculty, and staff
• Establish procedures and processes for tutoring programs
• Plan, organize textbooks and/or supplemental learning materials, and monitor the delivery of tutorial services to eligible students
• Create a "schedule" for students
• Assist in promoting the maximum use of Learning Labs on the campus
• Review student sign-in sheets and develop a list of students requesting tutorial services
• Provide information to students of the program and qualify students for tutoring services
• Coordinate with various lab coordinators/instructors to facilitate all resources for students in need of tutoring
• Provide feedback, as appropriate, to faculty, staff, and the Office of Academic Affairs regarding student performance and progress
• Develop statistical and narrative reports regarding the success of the tutoring program
• Assess and refer at-risk students to other programs as appropriate
• Conduct all activities within the established guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Master's degree required.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite Applications
Computerized tutorial programs and internet tutoring.
• Learning outcome-based systems and measures.
• English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
• Principles and practices of administration, supervision, and training.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Operate office equipment including computers, laptops, and copiers
• Effectively respond to all situations/incidents using sound judgment and decision-making
• Work independently with little direction; plan and organize work; meet schedules and
• Maintain sensitivity to and understanding of the cultural, socioeconomic, and ethnic
diversity of the college.
Commitment: While most services will be scheduled and offered during college business
hours, flexibility and cordiality are important traits needed due to regular interaction with
students and college personnel.
Reporting Relationships and Supervision
Reporting Director: Academic Affairs
Revised: January 2019
Interested applicants, please send resume with cover letter to the following email address:
Please include the title of the position in the "Subject" section of the email.