All Academic Divisions
Adjunct Instructor Pool (In-Person or Online)
Miles College is looking to hire adjunct instructors to teach various undergraduate courses in all academic areas. The Academic Affairs Divisions include the Divisions of Business and Accounting, Communications, Education, Humanities, Natural Science and Mathematics, and Social and Behavioral Sciences. Adjunct faculty positions are non-benefited positions. This posting will serve for multiple openings in person and online instruction. Applications for part-time and adjunct instructor positions are accepted continuously. Find more about our classes and offerings by reviewing our Miles College Catalog http://miles.catalog.acalog.com/index.php?catoid=6
The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the degree held, departmental budget availability, and course enrollment.
- Master’s degree with 18 hours in the discipline; Ph.D. preferred.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Practical or real-world experience may be required for some courses
- Complete required training as assigned
Duties and Responsibilities:
- On the first day of class, prepare and distribute the departmental syllabus, which informs students about course requirements, grading requirements, testing assignments, absence policy, and other pertinent information for each course assigned.
- Prepare, administer, and grade assignments and examinations on time to inform students about their progress and to provide opportunities that will allow students to succeed. Use multiple measures of assessment.
- Include opportunities for research and outside assignments when appropriate.
- Provide a safe environment for students and be responsible for the security of assigned equipment, materials, and classrooms.
- Encourage the use of support services by students. Collaborate with support services staff to ensure that appropriate information is being shared and discussed.
- Meet all assigned classes on time in the assigned rooms.
- Follow procedures related to the Registrar's Office, including grade reports and deadlines, attendance record reports, withdrawal deadlines, mid-semester progress reports, and the like.
- Distribute student evaluation forms and/or surveys on a timely basis.
- Follow the academic calendar and other policies and procedures adopted by the Board of Trustees.
- Use current technology to enhance the effectiveness of the student's experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For in-person adjuncts, a criminal background check will be performed. Miles College is known for its liberal arts college offerings and diverse undergraduate experience that weaves a traditional liberal arts curriculum into specialized fields of study. The campus is located in Fairfield, Alabama (a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama). For more information about the College, see our home page at www.miles.edu.) No phone calls will be accepted. You will be contacted if you are chosen for an interview.
Interested applicants should submit curriculum vitae, copies of unofficial transcripts, and contact information for at least three professional references to the Career Portal.
- Vitae and cover letter should be saved as a single document using this format: Lastname_FirstInitil_Vita
- Transcripts should be saved as a second attachment using this format: Lastname_FirstInitial_Transcripts
- If you meet the requirements to teach in more than one discipline, you should also indicate your Division preference in your cover letter.
The application process will begin Immediately.
Miles College is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer