Ph.D. in Computer Science (CS)
The Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at Miles College in Fairfield, AL is accepting applications for a Ph.D. in Computer Science to teach upper level computer science courses onsite. The Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at Miles College offers BS programs. The Department has a strong research focus, and a strong commitment to teaching, service, and outreach. As funding for research expands in this discipline, the goal is to grow the BS program significantly over the next several years.
- Expertise in all core CS/CIS/MIS areas are sought, with preference given to Software Engineering, Computing Systems, and Data Science areas.
- Contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their teaching, research, and service. In particular, we encourage historically underrepresented minority candidates (e.g., African American, Latinx, Native American, etc.)to apply.
- Engage in academic advising, to assist the department with program assessment, administrative and/or committee work, and to serve on campus-wide committees.
- Committed to the academic success of all of Miles College students and to an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates diversity and differences.
- Teaching assigned classes.
- Prepare classroom materials.
- Student assessment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to be available to assist students.
- Manage effective instructional activities.
- Provide student engagement experiences in the classroom to facilitate student learning.
- Use of technology in the classroom.
- Meet grading deadlines and others as required by Miles College.
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
- Candidates with expertise in all core CS/CIS/MIS areas are sought, with preference given to Software Engineering, Computing Systems, and Data Science areas.
- Candidates must consequently have strong research and teaching credentials.
- The candidate must have a Ph.D. in Computer Science, or a closely related field.
- ABD's will be considered if the degree is in hand by the end of the current academic year.
- The candidate must have demonstrated excellence in teaching; potential for successful research and scholarship; and proven ability to work with a diverse student body.
- Required qualifications include expertise in current approaches to the teaching of computer science, evidence of culturally sensitive pedagogy and principles, and university teaching experience.
- Desirable qualifications include several years of teaching experience in computer science, experience working with multicultural populations and experience in collaborative work with college faculty.
- The successful candidate must be able to teach multiple levels of undergraduates.
- Instructionalexperience is preferred.
Interested candidates should submit a completed Miles College application, curriculum vitae, copies of unofficial transcripts, and contact information for at least three professional reference.