Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Reports To: Division Chair
The Administrative Assistant holds a vital position in the Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. This full-time clerical position supports all aspects of the department and provides critical assistance for all operational and administrative tasks and events.
Responsibilities include internal and external communication, utilizing Microsoft Office applications for email, electronic calendars, and other office support. Typical clerical duties include ordering supplies, processing mail, duplication, responding to inquiries from students, staff and department by telephone, fax and email. Also maintains schedules and appointments, type minutes, maintains accurate contact lists, schedules input and checks for overlapping room assignments, and other duties as assigned.
This individual must be technically proficient in database management, Internet research skills, and in the use of Microsoft Office products. Further, s/he must be flexible, able to organize and prioritize assignments, work independently with minimal supervision, and possess experience working in a team environment. Finally, this individual must exhibit high professional and ethical standards when handling sensitive/confidential information and conversations, and exercise tact and diplomacy when interacting with all levels of internal management, staff, and others.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Proficiency in composing correspondence and other documents
2. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and written communication skills
3. Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and good judgment
4. Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines with high level of attention to detail; Willingness to work occasional extended hours or varying schedule as needed.
5. Initiate inter-departmental contacts as required.
6. Assist with overflow work as needed.
7. Answer multi-line phones, screen calls, manage calendars and make travel, meeting and event arrangements.
8. Compose routine correspondence, proofread letters, documents and memos.
9. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Minimum requirements include a high school diploma or GED. Associate’s degree or evidence of some college credits, preferred.
- Minimum of three years of clerical experience in an office setting.
- Experience with database systems highly desirable.
Please mail cover letter and resume to:
Office of Human Resources
P. O. Box 39800
Birmingham, AL 35208
Or www.miles.edu/careers or email@example.com