Title of Position:
Senior Vice-President, Finance and Administration
A budget officer is a trained professional who works to keep the budget balanced for the institution. The budget officer is responsible for verifying how the funds are being spent, ensuring that the College plans that require funding are possible within the budget limits and that the annual report for the College is created with truthful and reliable figures. The budget officer is often expected to plan and makes changes to the budget if it needs to improve over time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITY
1) Directs and coordinates activities for formulation, monitoring and presentation of budgets for controlling funds to implement program objectives of the College: Directs compilation of data based on statistical studies and analyses of past and current years to prepare budgets and to justify funds requested.
2) Correlates appropriations for specific programs with appropriations for divisional programs and includes items for emergency funds.
3) Reviews operating budgets periodically to analyze trends affecting budget needs.
4) Consults with unit heads to ensure adjustments are made in accordance with program changes in order to facilitate long-term planning.
5) Directs preparation of regular and special budget reports to interpret budget directives and to establish policies for carrying out directives.
6) Prepares comparative analyses of operating programs by analyzing costs in relation to services performed during previous fiscal years and submits reports to director of organization with recommendations for budget revisions.
7) Testifies regarding proposed budgets before examining and fund-granting authorities to clarify reports and gain support for estimated budget needs.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required.
Experience: With a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Management or a related field. With a Bachelor’s degree in fields other than those described above, two years of experience in an accounting, budgetary, or management position is required.
Skills: Strong computer skills, including the development of spreadsheets and reports using graphs and charts, are required. Good interpersonal, communication, organizational, and administrative skills required. The ability to initiate and follow through with work responsibilities and to meet deadlines with a minimum of supervision is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
The Budget Officer is supervised by the Senior Vice-President of Finance and Administration in the Business Office.
The deadline for submitting your interest material for this position is July 27, 2018.
Please mail cover letter and resume to:
Miles College-Office of Human Resources
P. O. Box 39800
Birmingham, AL 35208 OR
Miles College is an Equal Opportunity Employer