POSITION TITLE: Payroll Accountant
DEPARTMENT: Business Office
Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do listed examples include all tasks which may be found in position of this class. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily.
- Directs the payroll department in the timely processing and updating of all payroll
- Coordinates all payroll work flow, including input and output
- Ensures accuracy of all payroll information
- Supervises recording and reporting of all payroll deduction and fringe benefits
- Audits payroll registers and prepares them for transmittal to the County
- Maintains liaison with county, state and federal agencies and with insurance companies
- Prepare all requires reports on a timely basis
- Maintains current files of payroll policies and procedures, and federal and state regulations
- Researches and assembles records, data and confidential materials; disburses materials to authorized individuals and agencies
- Researches and assembles records, data and confidential materials; disburses materials to authorized individual and agencies
- Works closely with the Human Resources Department on many matters pertaining to employee compensation
- Works closes with the Information Technology Department to evaluate, maintain and update the payroll system
- Develops, generates, monitors, and distributes detailed written and statistical reports and memos pertaining to request for confidential records and data; maintains confidential correspondence records and files
- Acts as liaison between employees and retirement, insurance and other payroll-related agencies
- Resolves the most complex, difficult problems, and discrepancies and handles non-routine inquiries related to payroll documents and records.
- Interprets and explains operating procedures, rules and regulations relating to payroll processing to staff, administrators and employees
- Provides information as necessary to staff, students, the general public and to other agencies
- Performs other related duties as required
1. Bachelors’ Degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, business administration
or a related field and four (4) years of financial or accounting record keeping experience with recent
experience in a position having significant payroll responsibilities in the coordination of payroll
2. Knowledge and proficiency in the operation and use of personal computers utilizing word
processing, spreadsheet and database management software programs, the Internet browser,
websites and E-mail.
3. Understanding of sensitivity to and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of Miles Colleges’ students, faculty, staff and community.
- Payroll experience in a college/school district.
- Knowledge of:
- General payroll bookkeeping,, record keeping and filing procedures
- Federal and State laws, rules and regulations pertaining to payroll reporting, practices and procedures
- Modern office practices and procedures
- Payroll preparation and verification procedures
- Ability to:
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, retirement systems and collective bargaining agreements which impact preparation of payrolls.
- Perform confidential, technical and complex duties
- Work confidentially with discretion on privileged and sensitive information
- Communicate effectively with staff, students, the public and staff of other agencies
- Work under pressure of deadlines while maintaining a professional attitude
- Exercise independent judgment and decision on payroll matters.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration.
Download job description: Payroll Accountant