Position Summary: The Director of Sports Information is responsible for all aspects of media and sports information relating to the college’s 10 intercollegiate sports: Football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross-country, golf, outdoor track and field, baseball, softball, and volleyball. The Director of Sports Information is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Miles College and the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC), and the NCAA. Miles College is a member of the NCAA at the Division II level.
• Coordinate the development and implementation of a proactive media outreach program to print, radio, TV, and other electronic media outlets.
• Prepare media releases to communicate with the general public news and information about the college’s athletics program and teams.
• Work proactively with media to encourage coverage of college athletics events and news.
• Serve as the public relations agent for the Athletics Department in developing positive relations with media representatives from the electronic and print media.
• Oversee production of media guides, publications, and game-day materials for all sports.
• Oversee management of the press box at various on-campus sporting events, or assign coverage of this function to another member of the Athletics.
• Ensure that workers are hired and assigned to cover the various game management functions required for each sporting event, such as public address online pokies new zealand announcer, music, scoreboard, live streaming video, and other functions.
• Oversee maintenance of all portions of the athletics Web site.
• And other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
• Take or assign staff to take photographs when necessary.
• Supervise the Sports Information staff, to include student assistants and interns, training the staff, and delegating various duties.
• Supply athletics information quarterly to President, Athletic Director, and Coaches.
• Perform other communications duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three to five years of experience in sports information environment is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
General journalism experience preferred. A strong commitment to the student-athlete concept and a working knowledge of the NCAA rules and regulations is required.
Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills and computer skills, including Desktop Publishing, Internet Web site maintenance, and Statcrew/The Automated Scorebook statistical software packages are strongly preferred.
Experience in management and promotion of regional and national tournaments is helpful. Previous experience dealing with the media on the local, regional, and national level is required.
Competent photographic skills required.
This position reports to the Athletic Director and works closely with the Athletic Department Staff.
Send resume and cover letter to:
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
P. O. BOX 39800
BIRMINGHAM, AL 35208
To view full job description, please visit our website at www.miles.edu. Resumes will be taken until position is filled.