Miles College COVID-19 Letter, President Bobbie Knight
For Immediate Release:
March 13, 2020
Our top priority at Miles College remains the health, safety, and well-being of our students and community. This morning, the Miles College emergency task force has decided on a response to the COVID-19 challenges.
While there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported on our campus, as a precautionary measure to mitigate the risk of exposure to our College, we are implementing the following action steps consistent with many of our peer institutions locally and across the country.
- We will suspend in-person instruction, and the College will begin transitioning all courses online as ofMonday, March 30, 2020 through the remainder of the Spring Semester.
- Online instruction will be available beginning Monday, March 16, 2020 to any off - campus studentsthat wish to remain at home and utilize the distance learning delivery option.
- All athletic and extra-curricular activities will be suspended for the remainder of the semester.
- The campus will start the regularly scheduled Spring Break from March 23-27th
- Decisions regarding Commencement will be shared at a later date.
- College operations will not cease. Faculty and staff should plan to continue to work on campus until further notice. However, should it become necessary, we will modify our plan for faculty and staff.
- Alternative work arrangements and remote options for faculty and staff will be deployed only in the event that the institution closes.
- A help desk for student questions and contact will be created to provide swift responses.
- Student online engagement training will be deployed beginning March 16th.
We are committed to assisting our students in every way as the campus transitions to distance learning for the remainder of the semester. Success coaches will be available to each student to provide remote assistance with accessing courses online, pre-registration and FAFSA completion. All Residence Halls will close on Sunday, March 22, 2020. We anticipate that there will be students who need additional assistance to navigate this change. We stand ready to assist.
This announcement will result in many questions, and you can send all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also anticipate that there will be several more messages coming providing detailed information on how this transition will occur.
I have every confidence in my faculty and staff who are working diligently to make these changes while maintaining the integrity of the course offerings for this semester. I appreciate every member of this campus who has worked to be flexible and creative in accommodating inevitable issues that may arise.
For regular updates and additional information, please continue to visit www.miles.edu.